- There are 6,912 living languages.
- 516 of those are nearly extinct.
- There are 820 living languages in Papua New Guinea (hate to see the translation guide for that country.)
- Khmer, the world's largest alphabet has 74 letters.
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights has been translated into 321 languages.
- The English language has 250,000 distinct words.
The last tidbit I thought interesting was a quote from Carl Sandburg:
"Slang is a language that rolls up its sleeves, spits on its hands, and goes to work."