Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pondering Paris

Today was the first day of the last year of high school for my older son. I just looked through his school's online calendar and put all the pro-d days and report card days and band concert days into my calendar, too. I must admit, it felt pretty weird to add "Grad Dinner Dance" to an upcoming Friday night. (Yes, at the moment 2012 feels "upcoming".)

I wonder what he will wear to his prom. I am thinking a green Wilco t-shirt and wool Irish cap. Perhaps with a black suit jacket and black pants, a cotton handkerchief peeking out of a pocket somewhere. His signature grey canvas sneakers. I wonder if this will be one of those dinner dances where parents are invited. I wonder if there will be live music and if Public Access will play Bright Side or End of Yesterday.

Last night was his first grad party, a camp out at school, cut short when the police broke it up at one o'clock a.m. due to excessive noise.

I wonder where life will lead him, starting the day after the last day of the last year of school.

No comments: