Thursday, June 14, 2007

F***


I friend of mine told me today about the dictionary of the f-word. A historical reference guide from fuck to fuck and all words in between. I find it hard to believe there is an entire book dedicated to the history of one word, but there is.


Here is an excerpt from one comment posted on Amazon about the book:


"I know there are still those who consider themselves to be guardians of the English language (a lot of them being English teachers) who still take offense at the proliferation of the word. I'd like to see these elbow-patched, corduroy-jacketed souls buying a copy of this book and assigning a student who was misfortunate enough to be heard uttering the expression the task of reading the book and submitting a 10-page report on it. F***, I'm tempted to do it just to see if I can get it published somewhere."


In 2005, the Canadian Press added fuck to its pages, right between FTP and Fudgsicle. Last month, the CBC aired a radio show about how racial words now have more profanity power than sexual words.


I'm having one of those days when I could easily use the F-word in the wrong way at the wrong time. I'm tired and I can't sit anywhere in the house without seeing something that needs to get done. I haven't had a moment to myself since Tuesday.


Fortunately, the kids are out playing in the streets (reminds me of a previous post) and I can merrily get my f***ing frustrations out in an intelligent post about the dictionary.

No comments: