Saturday, June 2, 2007

Pirate Cookies

A few days ago I walked into the store and saw a box of Pirate Cookies. Despite that they were once my favourite cookie, I had completely forgot about them. (For some reason, I can not find any information on Pirate Cookies on the internet, and since my camera is currently not charged you will have to imagine the blue bag and brown Oreo-style cookies for yourself.)

According to Kraft, peanut butter made its mark in history over 3,000 years ago.

"Peanuts were first cultivated in South America by the Incas, who liked the small vegetable so much that they decorated pots with peanut designs and made them in the distinctive peanut shape. The Incas also made the first peanut butter."

But according to Peanut Butter Lovers, there are many claims about the origin of peanut butter.

"Africans ground peanuts into stews as early as the 15th century. The Chinese have crushed peanuts into creamy sauces for centuries. Civil War soldiers dined on 'peanut porridge.' These uses, however, bore little resemblance to peanut butter as it is known today."

Everyone seems to agree that peanut butter as we know it was created by George A. Bayle Jr., who processed and packaged "ground peanut paste as a nutritious protein substitute for people with poor teeth who couldn't chew meat. The physician apparently had experimented by grinding peanuts in his hand-cranked meat grinder. Bayle mechanized the process and began selling peanut butter out of barrels for about 6¢ per pound."

But really, at this point, I don't really care where it came from, I'm just glad it made its way back into my home. Pass the milk, matey. YUM!

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

A few years ago I decided to have a bowl of captain crunch, something I loved in childhood. It tasted great, but took all of the skin off the inside of my mouth.

Vanessa said...

I will never forget the pure joy of a bag of Old Dutch salt & vinegar chips and a can of orange crush... heaven...

I keep trying to enjoy those old childhood favourites, but they don't taste the same :( In all honesty, they make me feel gross. I guess my palette just grew up.