Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Freedom and Success

My friend William recently blogged about an interesting work concept, that I mostly subscribe to. Goes something like this:

Old version: work hard (for a very long time), achieve success, earn freedom (to retire and do all the things you missed out on while you were working)

New version: find work that affords you freedom = success

I believe that if you enjoy your work, you can have freedom and success as you go. (I recognize that there will always be a percentage of the day that is just pure work, which we just accept. So 100% freedom is not attainable in the old sense, but with a positive mindshift, it is very attainable.). There are always ways to adjust your work life to make it more enjoyable and I will only work for companies that provide flexibility in how and where I get my work done so I can fit it around my family needs and my mental requirements.


William says: "I totally buy into the idea that in the workplace, results is what matters. Working hours are a leftover from the industrial age, physical presence is almost redundant because of technology and meetings a complete waste of time in most cases."

Click here to read more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I was catching up on my favorite blog I noticed your photos from Maui. Ahhhhh Maui..... the (barf - excuse me) road to Hana and the flower from the black sand beach - which we missed twice! We did however find a very cool surf town. Ahhhhh Maui......