Saturday, April 14, 2007

Oui, Nunavut, our home and native land

Nunavut means "our land" in Inuktitut, the language of the Inuit. A few months ago I met a few aboriginal people from Nunavut, and they gave me a map of their land. It is a diverse place, full of raw fjords, remote waterways, and isolation.

I love that the map is in four different languages - english, french, and inuit, in two different forms.

I grabbed these samples from a Nunavut website. I think it is a beautiful written language (I don't know what this says though):

ᓄᓇᕗᑦ -- "ᓄᓇᕗᑦ" ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᐅᖃᐅᓯᖓᑎᑐᑦ -- ᐃᓄᖕᓂᑦ ᐊᑯᓐᓂ ᐊᕐᕋᒍᒐᓴᒪᕆᖕᓂᒃ ᓄᓇᒋᔭᐅᓯᒪᔪᖅ ᐊᕐᕋᒍᑦ 100 ᐅᖓᑎᒪᕆᐊᓐᓂ ᓄᓇᒋᔭᐅᖃᑕᕐᓯᒪᔪᖅ ᐃᓄᖕᓂᑦ. ᑎᒍᒥᐊᕐᖢᑎᒃ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᖃᐅᔨᒪᔭᑐᖃᖏᓐᓂᒃ ᐊᒪᓗ ᓄᑕᓐᓂᒃ ᐃᖃᓇᐃᔭᕈᑎᓐᓂᒃ ᓱᕐᓗ ᖃᕆᑕᐅᔭᑯᕈᑎᓐᓂᒃ, ᓄᓇᕗᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᖓ ᐊᑦᔨᒋᖏᑐᓐᓂᒃ ᐱᓕᕆᑎᑎᔪᓇᕐᓯᔪᑦ ᐃᑲᔪᑎᓐᓂᒃ ᐊᕿᒃᓯᒪᔪᓄᑦ ᓄᓇᕗᒥᐅᓄᑦ ᐅᓐᓄᕐᑎᒋᔪᓄᑦ 29,500.

Nunavut -- "ovagut nunakpun " taimatun Inuktitut okaohitun - taimali aihimavioyok tapkonoga Inuiknun 1000 okioni taimalo eglagani Kanata agmegaituni 100ni okioni. Egkitlogik tamakni Eglitkuhitlo eglihimayaitlo taimalo annigiyauyutlo taimalo notan oktuktahaat pignagialakihimayait algoyatigut ematun itton Hilakut toyotigiplogitlo,Kavamaat Nunavutmi hatya pignagialakitmatigik tavogagalok ikayutihaitigut agtunihaitigutlo agtungagahualikiyauhimakmata etkoniahimayan 29,000 iglokaktunut.

Oui, this is Canada too. I can't wait to visit!

No comments: