Sunday, February 18, 2007

Kids Books for Adults

About four years ago, I decided that I needed to start reading the books that my older son was reading. He was devouring books I had never heard of and I had no idea what they were about. I wanted to ensure that I knew what he was reading so that we could talk about whatever subject matter comes up, if needed. Many were about death, family crisis, struggle, evil vs good, etc, and we have had excellent conversations since.

But to my surprise, I ended up loving the books he was reading, and for a while, completely switched from the usual literary fiction, or thought-provoking non-fiction, to, well, kids books. Here is a list of my favourites:

1. Pendragon Series (better than Harry Potter)
2. Harry Potter Series (of course!)
3. A Series of Unfortunate Events (it gets better with each book)
4. Holes (freakin' brilliant!)
5. Frindle (inspiring)
6. My Side of the Mountain (solo wilderness adventure)
7. The Thief Lord (Vienna at night)
8. Kit's Wilderness (spooky and captivating)
9. Kensuke's Kingdom (Robinson Crusoe for modern kids)
10. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (just for fun)

He is now reading the books from our library, and I must admit that I miss the escapes I got from his books. I think that next time we hit the library together I will leave him and head to the kids section.

No comments: